Sunday, January 14, 2007

iPhone again

Thought I would put a link to this interesting arcticle about the new Apple toy -> http://www.kottke.org/07/01/iphone-roundup

Note that I am not a Apple fan-boy. Far from it, since I have not owned any Apple produxt (Yes, including the famous IPOD). My argument has always been that it does not make sense to pay for that extra user-friendliness, especially for geeks (like me...).

However, the iPhone really intrigues me though, and here's an extract from the article above that resonates with me.

What's really kind of sad about the intensely exuberant reaction to the iPhone is that the situation with current mobile phones are so bad in the first place. It's not like we didn't see any of this coming or couldn't imagine the utility of the iPhone's features.

What I would like to say is really why no other companies have thought of it ... Or maybe they did, but thought it's better to maintain the status quo since no one else is doing any better.

Best example is Microsoft. Multiple releases of their mobile OS and we still need to install an app to close any application instead of "smart" minimizing. I mean, have they really interviewed users to find out what is our perference ??? At least, give us an option in the setting menu.

At the very least, the iPhone might be an awakening call for the rest of the mobile makers.

No comments: